Sunday, November 25, 2012

Revolving Doors

On Sunday morning we were the last car to pack up and make the trip home. My Mom and Dad left bright and early to head to Northern California to visit my Grandma who checked into the hospital that weekend, and the rest of my siblings were a few hours behind them. We took our time, partly because our children were having a naughty morning and partly because the 7 hour car ride did not sound appealing. When we finally got our act together it was around 11 am. The hotel was busy, we had two tantrum kids, a butt load of luggage to carry, and about a half mile walk to our car; which basically added up to one of the most hectic 30 minutes of our lives. I would have paid a lot of money for a video camera following us during this walk, but since I walked away with nothing but a mental video of the ordeal you will just have to settle for this picture of Sam that I demanded he pose for as soon as we get home. After a lot of coaxing he finally agreed, but he told me he was not going to smile.
We head out of our room and start the long hallway trek to the elevator; it is maybe a football field distance away. Sam looks like this, while I am carrying Hazel, the diaper bag, the food cooler, the camera bag and trying to usher the angry, defiant 2 year old along. I get to the end of the hallway and start to regret my decision of carrying so much. My arms start feeling a little shaky from all the weight. I become a little apprehensive knowing that if Bails decided to make a run for it, she can most definitely beat me which makes me sweat a little. We finally get to the elevator which has a few other people waiting as well. This is good news because Bails stopped screaming and clings to my leg because she gets really shy when strangers try to talk to her. When we get to the bottom floor everyone walks off the elevator except for Bails. She gets angry again now that we are alone and refuses to get off the elevator. Once again a stranger saves the day and steps onto the elevator which makes her come running off towards us. Sam takes off walking towards the car at this point, leaving me with the two children and my arms full. I start walking slowly, hoping that my movement will just force her to follow me in anger. This makes her more angry, but it works and she temper tantrums the quarter of a mile to the front doors of the casino. She is throwing her purse of toys and then running to pick it up before I can bend down to pick it up. People are staring at me and Sam is long gone at this point. I just keep walking and she follows. I am trying not to laugh at my situation when all of a sudden I reach the end of the hallway and see the front revolving doors. At first I notice the doors are not moving, which is a first. Then I realize why they aren't moving. I notice Sam, still carrying all of our things, stuck in the door with THREE other men. I start laughing out loud and debate whether to pull the camera out of the bag. I decide against it for fear of peeing my pants. I am sure people thought I was crazy dragging my two kids across a lobby while nearly falling over laughing as Sam literally took like 3 minutes to inch his way forward and out of that revolving door. One of the funniest things I have ever seen. Especially because the other 3 men stuck with him were not little by any means and they were all trapped together in a small space while they inched-wormed themselves out. I am pretty sure I broke into laughter every 20 minutes the entire 7 hour drive home as he just rolled his eyes and told me to leave him alone.

No comments: