Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Seriously, Again?

So the first time it happened was about a year and a half ago. Sam was on his way to school at about 8:30 am. He slowly climbed up the hill on his not so powerful motoped. There was a line of cars behind him, waiting for him to go faster. He reached the top of the hill and entered the school zone, where a cop was conveniently waiting for speeders. And who did he choose to pull over? Not the real cars with the capacity to go fast, the kid on the scooter which has a max speed of 35mph. Who would have ever thought Sam could be pulled over for speeding on little yoshi?

My favorite part of this story is what happened later that day. At this time Sam was working at Vantage Point, a 24 hour organization where cops and parents can bring troubled teens instead of taking them to the juvenile detention center. He had been at work for a few hours when a cop came to check in a kid. Sam recognized him right away, and asked the copper if he remembered Sam. I believe he responded with something along these lines: "Oh ya, I pulled you over this morning. You need to slow down." Seriously? Ok sir. I'm sure Sam will try to keep that in mind as he engages in his daily game of frogger, trying to get from one destination to the next without being squished.

So, this first time Sam got off with a warning and just a little bit of a sour taste in his mouth for the stupidity of cops in Utah. This morning, however, he was not so lucky. Once again, like most mornings, Sam was on his way to school. He reached the top of the hill slowly, but this time behind the long train of cars. Out of nowhere, the train of cars slows down drastically. Again, it was in front of the school zone, but this time it was late enough in the morning and the lights were not flashing. Curious Sam moved to the side of the lane to get a peak around the large truck and saw a cop sitting there, scaring the drivers. Before he knew it, the cop decided to pull him over for following too closely because he was one second behind the truck, but he needed to be two seconds away. Are you kidding me? That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. When the flow of traffic is at 20 mph I am pretty sure that Sam will find the time to stop, sir. After all, he really just needs to put his feet down and stand up.



Furthermore, the law changed regarding licenses with motorcycles. Originally if your scooter was less than 50cc, you didn't need a special license, but apparently, now you do. So the cop rudely informed Sam he had to return home, and was not to drive the scooter again until he actually has a motorcycle license or else his motoped will be impounded. To make a long story short, he missed his class and came home where we spent the next few hours researching our best option to get this license. We finally decided that the best thing for us to do (because he needs to retain Idaho residency for med school apps, thus getting a Utah license is not an option) is, let the motoped sit until we can get to Boise.



I have always been a big fan of cops. I am the daughter of two police officers and have spent my entire life hearing stories and going to the police station for fun. I have been known to defend their honor when I hear others bashing them, but these Utah Cops are making it very hard for me to continue this practice.

So thanks a lot stupid cop with braces, now we get to drive to Boise for a day so we can get this whole mess straightened out. Oh and Jana, sorry you are the last to know, but can we stay with you on Saturday?

4 comments:

Jana said...

I always figured if Sam got pulled over on that thing it would be more of a merciful outreach, like "Son, do you realize you're on a suicide mission riding this little guy around big cars and SUVs?" but instead they pick on him to ticket? Ridiculous.

And although I was the last to know yesterday (I did miss a call from Sam earlier in the afternoon, so I'll give y'all the benefit of the doubt) we'd love to see you Saturday!

P.S. It's a good thing Sam doesn't have to take Yoshi with him to the motorcycle class, he'd probably get laughed out by all the Hell's Angels!

Sam said...

A bit of advice free of charge. The key to not getting harassed by cops is simply to rid yourself of all material worth. That way when the budget gets tight and they start ticketing for each and every thing they can conceive of to raise funds you have nothing to offer. They leave me alone no matter what I do and whose garden I do it in, most likely because they know that I would welcome the ticket they would write me since the paper that they write it on is softer than the scratchy bum-wipe that gas stations provide.

The Nasmans said...

Yoshi isn't less than 50ccs? I have underestimated the lil machine. Too bad you weren't there Terri to give the cop some spider-hair action. I'm pretty sure that would've done the trick! I'm lucky that all the spiders around here have a very distinct red hair.

Christine said...

hey Terri - can you leave a comment on my blog with your email address in it. I need to forward you an email from Charlotte.