Saturday, March 6, 2010

Off to Seattle...

Thanks to Bailey peacefully staying in the uterus, Sam receiving a Washington school interview, and Sam having the best Aunt and Uncle in Seattle we decided to take a weekend getaway to one of our favorite cities.

In order to recreate the memory of our first (and only, I guess) trip here, a shot in front of the Seattle TapRoom.
Why a bar was chosen as the Seattle tradition I am not sure, but we can't break it now.

We flew in Thursday night, rented a car, and were off on the hour and a half drive to Yakima to get ready for the interview. By the time we checked into our hotel in Agricultural Yakima my legs were mighty swollen. Of course I freaked out because they looked ginormous while Sam managed to stay level headed and told me to just lay down and go to sleep (because if I am sleeping I am not talking or whining) and by morning they were back to normal, thank goodness.

The best part of Yakima? The drive back to Seattle when Sam begged me to stop here (his old stomping ground) so he could relive his wonderful childhood memories...
Weird thing was Jana (who has the best memory in the world) and Mama Pam couldn't even remember it without a little coaching...making me wonder how significant of a memory this place truly was, and whether or not I got played a little.

But I am not going to complain too much because I got some candy out of it...
and Sam got his beloved grapefruit slices which he loves...
and was able to tell me about the time he fell down the flight of stairs in the middle of the shop, and how that red wagon has been there forever.

And then, after what seemed like forever to my falling apart, pregnant body we arrived back in beautiful Seattle...
where we walked around pikes place...
isn't Sam's purse so cute? He gets lots and lots of compliments on it wherever we go.
The part that Sam was looking forward to the most was the delicious and very large doughnuts at the bakery right next to where they throw the fish.

Unfortunately for him (which I found quite hilarious) the place was closed. Apparently they were moving the location of their behind the scenes kitchen and although they were sorry, they were planning on being closed till the end of January. Oddly enough we were in Washington February 25-28 so I am not sure what exactly was going on...Poor Sam.

Luckily, right around the corner there was a mini doughnut shop, which brought the smile right back because he got a little bag full of twelve assorted mini-doughnuts...
And unfortunately for me, while I was off looking for a pretty bouquet of flowers for Sam's wonderful Aunt Sage, Sam ate that bag of doughnuts like a fat kid who hates sharing food :)
When there are doughnuts present and you want some, but Sam is around, you better eat fast or you won't get to eat at all. You have been warned.

It also wouldn't be Pike's Place without seeing a few fish get tossed around...
Sam loves fish, especially how they smell and taste.

And I love shopping...
and people watching.

Besides Pike's Place we spent the weekend shopping at the Asian Market, playing games, eating the best gourmet food made by Uncle David and Aunt Sage (including the best homemade cheesecake that survived the plane ride back to Utah, but not too much longer than that), driving around the city, and relaxing with some wonderful company.
We had the best time. And who could complain when you look out the window and see this...

Uncle David and Aunt Sage, we can not thank you enough for your wonderful hospitality. And for the perfect little Bailey outfit and book. We love you guys.

5 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

Terri! Your little baby bump is the cutest ever! What a fun trip!

garritandshea said...

I had no clue you guys got to take such a fun little trip. I am very jealous. You are the cutest little preggo gal. Miss you.

Jana said...

Holy moly, I just laughed a lot reading this - here are my favorite parts:
* 'because if I am sleeping I am not talking or whining'
* 'Sam ate that bag of doughnuts like a fat kid who hates sharing food'
AND
* that you got played and had to go to the weird antique shop/fruit stand :). Just kidding, I do remember it, it was just hard to recognize from the cell phone picture. I don't remember Sam falling, though, but it sounds hilarious!

Also, you look adorable and I can't wait to see you in person! And I love how you're holding the purse in some pictures and Sam's holding it in some pictures so it really does look like you each have one :).

Also, I miss Seattle. And Uncle David and Aunt Sage.

THE END (of my really long comment)

Pamela Hunter-Braden said...

I, too, completely remember the fruit/antique stand, but not from the picture (which I thought was taken in Seattle). I also have some really cute pictures of my Grandpa Heslop holding my grandma's purse on a number of occasions.

David and Sage are wonderful for a number of reasons, and their cheesecake is in the top ten. One more reason I'm planning a trip up there this summer!

J and L said...

Hi Terri, Don't know if you remember me from TO 4th... You probably remember my sis Lindsey better. She and Connie were good friends... Anyway, found your blog via Connie's and stopped in and saw this post. Congrats on the baby news by the way! And AWESOME that you were just in Yakima while your husband was interviewing for med school. Funny story... My husband is currently going to that school in the Yak! What did you think?? If you two are headed this way, let me know! We'll be here for rotations the next 2 years and can help you find a place to live, etc. Good luck!!