Wednesday, May 12, 2010

And That is When Everything Changed...

So I definitely had myself convinced that it was impossible to get any larger and little Bailey was going to make her entrance early. Unfortunately, May 4 came and went and then I decided I would probably be the first person to be pregnant forever.

This was probably taken a few days before May 8, but is the last presentable shot of me pregnant. Why? Because those nasty contractions started late Friday night and then there was no living with me. Poor Sam.
I made it through all of Saturday day (with a lot of whimpering and complaining) and by 10:30 that evening I was done being tough (and by tough I mean this could not go on any longer without drugs) and I decided to go in even though the contractions were only ten minutes apart. I told Sam he was not allowed to tell anyone because I was pretty confident we were going to get sent home, but we took the risk anyway.

At the hospital I got hooked up and lucky for me the machine decided to measure my blood pressure during a bad contraction which sky rocketed the numbers and set off alarms resulting in a call to my doctor and an official admittance to the hospital. Hooray to that!

Soon after I got my epidural which was a blessing for the first hour or so, and then unfortunately it wore off. The little button was not my friend, as it did nothing for the pain when I pushed it so, we called the anesthetist back to give me the good stuff. Again it lasted for like an hour or two with no relief so we called him in the third time, and unfortunately the same thing happened. Except now it was time to push. Lucky me. Over a thousand dollars of pain medication and I still got to feel the whole delivery. Boo to that.

My travels from an eight to a ten went super fast. Only problem was the contractions were pretty intense making me almost cry and Bailey's heart rate drop. The doctor and nurses seemed to be getting a little nervous and wanted to get her out asap. Good news: I only had to push through three contractions before little Bailey Boo was plopped onto my stomach. Bad news: forceps did a number on me and the poor babies head.

Our little smurf. The umbilical chord was wrapped around her little neck twice which caused the low heart rate and blue coloring. Luckily she pinked up pretty quickly.
I could not believe how big she was. Eight pounds had never felt so big.

First bath. Sam said she was trying to eat all the bubbles. Probably a small explanation for all that weight (she still tries to eat everything).
No crying......what a blessing. And fast asleep. We both had a pretty rough day.
Too bad giving birth is quite the ordeal. As of now, I am pretty sure I don't want to do that ever again.

We just love our little Bailey Boo.

6 comments:

Shawn AND Chelsey said...

She's SUPER cute! Sorry your epi didn't work...that happened to me too and it's no fun!! But don't worry --- in a year or two, pregnancy and labor amnesia will hit and you'll be doing it all over again!! :)

Pamela Hunter-Braden said...

Bailey is and will be loved by many people, but she's so lucky that the first of those are her parents who are already the kind of parents every baby should have.

jayna said...

Oh man. I'm sorry that happened on your first baby!

It happened just like that with Lila, and so it cemented the fact that she was going to be our LAST!

At least she's adorable!! Happy healing!

Shannon said...

Congrats Terri!!! She's beautiful :)

Jana said...

Umm, I'm pretty sure Bailey is too cute for you to not have more babies.

That does suck pretty hardcore about your epidural, though. You could always go my route - the delivery, while somewhat uncomfortable, is pain-free! I make no such guarantees about the recovery, however :).

Makenzie Iorg said...

Terri,
Congratulations. She is so cute and chubby! I hope recovery is going well, and that you're getting some sleep. My advice: sleep whenever your baby is sleeping as much as possible!